Friday, October 22, 2010

A Tale of Two Brothers.

Have I ever told you all the Buffalo Story?
I haven’t? Then grab a seat. You’re gonna love this one.

I’ve told you about our odd neighbors the “Walkers”, but I haven’t told
you about the one’s who live across the street. They built a house across from us
maybe10 years ago. Since that time they have added a deer farm
which also used to include a buffalo.

Now we live in a rural area, but all of the different deer and the buffalo
became quite the site to see and even today attracts all sorts of looky loos.

Anyway, about three years ago when my boys were babies (4 & 6) they became
completely enamored with these animals. I was always catching them down by
the fence trying to feed the deer, or even on one occasion taunting the
buffalo! I didn’t think we’d ever get them to stay away from them.

On one particular spring day, I had to go to the hospital for a meeting.
As I came home, I topped the hill in front of our house, and saw both of the boys hiding alongside the road, between the fence and a skinny forked tree. I assumed they were either hiding from me, or the neighbors. I pulled up to them. Rolled down the window and the best conversation ever took place.

 “What are you two doing?” I ask. Owen quickly leans out from the left side of the forked tree and states matter of factly “Twyin’ not to be seen.” And just as quickly returns to his hiding spot. “By who?” I dryly ask. This time Josh answers.  Leaning from his hiding spot on the right, and with both of his arms in the air he exclaims, “The buffawo!”  Then he too, hides again. As you can imagine, this was not at all what I expected to hear. Having looked around for the buffalo and not finding him I naively ask, “Where’s the buffalo?” Josh didn’t miss a beat and just the same way as he did before exclaims “In our yawd!”

Didn’t see that one coming either.


Yep. That buffalo had gotten loose and had been wandering around our
yard. But thankfully, at that point he’d been contained by my father in law.
But my boys, they weren’t taking any chances.

I love that memory. It still makes me laugh when I think about it. I hope it made you
laugh too.



Around the time of the buffalo story.


Blog ya later, Missy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...